I can't believe that it's time to start packing up again!! I leave for London in 2 days, and the reality of it all hasn't hit me yet! It has been a really good last week here, except for the whole finals thing, but I guess that is inevitable.
Saturday- I spent the day studying for finals, but took a break in the evening to attend the Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Syntagma (a big city square in Athens). It was really really exciting! I loved it! The festivities began with what appeared to be a high school aged band playing different, classic Christmas songs. As they were counting down I was expecting to just see the tree light up and then the event would be over. I was pleasantly surprised by the fireworks show that started when the tree was lit and the concert afterward. We stuck around and listened to a concert of American music (in English...so exciting!). It was a great concert with music that I was familiar with so I had a blast! I have been wanting to watch the movie, "Elf" for quite a while so I attempted for the second time to watch it that night, but we are having troubles loading it on the computer. :( Oh well, I will just have to watch it when I get home.
Sunday- The day before a final is always a hardcore study day for me. I did allow myself to take a break to go see the changing of the guard in front of the Parliament building. Ever since Kevin went to the changing of the guard in DC, I have been wanting to see it, so it was interesting for me to see Greece's version of it. I still want to see it in DC, but this was a good substitute to hold me over until I can go see it. Every Sunday morning they shut down one of the busy streets in Athens so that the procession can go on. It starts off with a marching band entering in front of the Parliament followed by ranks of Greek militia dressed in traditional Greek soldier uniforms. All Greek men are required to serve form of the military for 9 months after they turn 18. There are ways to avoid the requirement, but the service time hangs over your head until you are in your 60s. We don't need to get into politics, just thought I would share a cultural difference.
Monday- Yesterday was Lisa's birthday, which unfortunately landed on the same day as our big art history final. She said that she had the "best day ever," which was good considering we were all so stressed. The night before we hid cards and posters around the apartment for her. After the test, Brita and I went over to the other 5 girls' apartment to use their kitchen. We made a surprise birthday apple pie for Lisa because she has been telling me the whole trip how much she craved it! We also cooked some of her favorites for dinner. A bunch of the group showed up to surprise her later in the evening, which was fun! I never counted how many people were in our apartment, but it was definitely filled over its capacity. It kind of reminded me of our second night here when we had everyone over to our Rome apartment. Good way to start and end the trip!
As I look back on my time here I have noticed some definite differences between Rome and Athens. Here are just a few:
-Athens should probably count stray cats and dogs in it's census because there are about as many stray animals as there are people
-Italian cuisine is a lot more like American cuisine than Greek
-classes in Greece were structured better, but gave a lot more homework
-Rome has a lot more tourist sights, Greece has a lot more to do culturally
Tomorrow night is our goodbye dinner. I am really excited for it because it is a chance for us to say goodbye to professors and each other. It is really sad though, because it will be the last time that all 30 of us are together. Two girls in the group are studying abroad again, and 2 people are graduating. It's going to be so weird going our separate ways. For the most part we came here as strangers and are leaving as a family. So crazy!
I will try to update you all again soon, but I am not sure what my internet situation is going to be like for the next 3 weeks. No promises of when I will update this, but I will do the best that I can. Hope everyone is doing well!
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment