Friday, October 23, 2009

Ciao Italia!

It's so crazy to think that I am moving to Greece tomorrow! The time has just flown by here! I have had so much fun, it's kind of hard to say goodbye. Tonight a group of us went to St. Peter's Basilica for the last time as a sort of goodbye. When we were walking back, my roommates and I did not say a word. I think we were all just reflecting on our time here.

So what have I been up to the last few days? Studying. I had one final on Wednesday and one on Thursday. I basically spent Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday studying for them. Nothing like putting studying off to the last minute. I mean, Mom and Dad, I've been studying hours a day every day I have been here. Cough cough.

I did take a few study breaks though. Sunday night a group of us went out to celebrate Evan's birthday. He wanted to go to Hard Rock Cafe so almost all of the group crowded in there. It was fantastic! A burger, Heinz ketchup, and yellow cheese, I was in American food heaven. Ok not really, but it was a nice change of pace for me. I have never given a toast in front of a group of people before, but I felt inspired so I stood up and gave my tribute speech about Evan. He is one of the few people that I knew before the trip, so I figured it was my job to make sure he was recognized on his birthday.

I have really grown to love a lot of the people on my trip. I have gotten so used to being around them all of the time that if I do not see them one day, I feel completely lost. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when we get back to school. This week we have a week break and I won't see most of them. It's sad to think that I won't see them. We decided that we will all have fun and have good stories to tell, so the separation will be ok.

Studying for finals brought out all of the crazy sides of my roommates. We are fun, spontaneous group to begin with, but we reached an all time high this week. One of my roommates, Carissa, God I am going to miss rooming with her, just makes my day every day. She is absolutely hilarious and we have so much fun being spontaneous together.

Anyway, on Wednesday night we were studying for Thursday's art history final, and I just hit a wall. I couldn't stay awake anymore even though we were having a group study session in my room with a slideshow and lots of notes. (We had to memorize over 70 pieces of art besides other things, their artist, what year they were completed, and where they reside now. I am not a memorization person, I would rather write a philosophical paper. So you can imagine my excitement level for studying for it.) Carissa decided that I needed to pull an all-nighter with her and I reluctantly agreed. We ran to the 24 hour market and loaded up on Coke. Before you knew it we found left-over rice from dinner that I forgot to put away. It had formed into clumpy masses, so naturally we decided to have a rice war in the apartment. Carissa pelted me with a few rice balls before realizing it was fun to throw them at the wall. I opened the window and decided we should throw them at our balcony. This is what happens when you spend too many days in a row studying. I ended up going to bed not long after and woke up at 5 to find her still awake and a "wanted" poster of me on the wall. Apparently she got bored during the night and decided to list on 3 pages all of the things that I have done "wrong" during the trip. Saying sorry too much and making "squirrel facial expressions" made the list if that gives you any idea. The reward is 5 Euro cents if anyone can find me.

Crazy stuff like that happens all the time in our apartment. I can't put into words how much fun I have had here. On Thursday night we had our send-off dinner with a couple of the profs. One prof I didn't have and the other one I hated, but luckily I didn't sit at their table. Instead I sat with our program directors. Again, I'm going to say it, one of the cutest couples ever. I'm so glad they are my program directors! Oh and Dad, at the dinner I ate veal (not my thing, but I kind of liked it.) I thought you'd be proud.

How did the finals go? The art history one kicked my butt, but I guess the rest of the class felt the same way. Oh well, I'm over it. My Theo prof, a British priest told us that no one was going to get an "A" in his class. I am the type of person to prove people like that, that I dislike wrong. I studied really hard and was able to memorize exact quotes and page numbers to use in the two in class essays I had to write. I know memorization, not my thing, but when it's to prove someone wrong I make it work. I feel like I did really well on my essays, but I will have to see when I get my grades.

Whoa, time for bed!! I have to get up in a few hours to catch my flight to my new home town. Again, CRAZY!!! I'll try to keep you updated, but I may not have internet access for the week because I am island hopping around the Greek islands. And yes, Santorini is one of the main stops. (Some of you told me it's a must see.) Tough life, I know. Hope everyone at home is doing well! Sending my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment